Saturday, November 2, 2013

Stopping To Smell The Flowers

Some time back, probably about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine said something to me that made me smile and say a silent prayer of gratitude.
We had been talking about what constitutes a blessed life, and I had just done telling him that I am filled with a sense of contentment and peace. An inner peace that came from knowing that I was comfortable with where my life was at, satisfied with the direction it was going in and extremely optimistic about the future. It was the kind of contentment that comes from finally absorbing all that life has blessed you with, and being able to exhale knowing that you are exactly where you were meant to be in your journey.

It was at this point that he said he yearns for that kind of peace and contentment.
It was also at this point that I realized just how truly grateful I should be for all the wonderful people in my life, and all the amazing roads I have seen along my journey to have reached the point I was at just then.

That was over a year ago.

Since that day I have embarked on new ventures and pursuits, chased new dreams and taken on more challenges.
I have thrown caution to the wind and tried to explore new shores.
In my pursuit of achieving great success, I have also made great sacrifices. I realized recently that chief amongst those sacrifices has been the very essence of what made me so content and peaceful not so long ago.

Sometimes we're so eager to get to the destination, that we forget to stop along the way and smell the flowers. The picture above is of my daughter Zia in deep contemplation. 
Maybe she's taken a moment to listen to her breathing.
Maybe she's taken a moment to think about her next breathtaking smile or giggle.
Or maybe she's simply telling me "Slow down Dad. Pause for a while. I know you'll get there in the end... but it's the now that really counts."


This is a video of Zia taking her first steps.
These are the moments I shall cherish through my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment