Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fear : The New Weapon Of Mass Destruction

Oh  boy... where do I start?
Maybe you should check out this video of Jon Stewarts 'The Daily Show' before I continue any further. The video is at the bottom of the link.

There was a time, which lasted for maybe 6 minutes back in early 2010, when I was extremely vocal and opinionated on bigotry and disrespect toward others beliefs, religious or otherwise.
Then it dawned on me that this was akin to arguing about what to do with the pink elephant in the room. By engaging in this argument, I would first have to acknowledge the worthiness of the topic, thus accepting that my IQ was on par with that of a swamp donkey.

Back to this video.
The fact that David Cretin, executive dye-rectum of the Florida Family Association (isn't this the same State that sold George 'Dubya' Bush the 2000 Presidential Election?) has taken issue with a show called All American Muslim based entirely on the lack of fundamentalism and jihadist ideology portrayed in the series, makes one wonder if he would have preferred a show depicting American Muslims as merciless terrorists. THIS is the guy heading up a 'family' association? Seriously?

So let me get this straight.
Produce a show which depicts your average American Muslim as peace-loving and uninterested in violence, and it causes an uproar for lack of violence & senseless killing.
Produce a show which depicts your average American Muslim as a bloodthirsty fundamental terrorist, and conservative Americans are deliriously happy, chanting "See! We told you so!"

I place the blame squarely at the feet of Reality TV.

Before this scourge on society came along, I was blissfully and ignorantly happy knowing that Christians were bible-thumpers who all lived for Christ and did no wrong, Mormons all drove horse-buggys and dressed like a black-and-white version of That 70's Show, Hindus only bathed in the Ganges and the men never wore shoes or shirts, Jews were... well they produce most shows so I'm forced to believe they are all funny and look like supermodels and are never portrayed as the bad guys, and lastly that all Muslims were packing bombs. Even those who invited you over for Sunday biryani and sent you home with a plate of samoosas.

Reality TV as it's sole purpose is to captivate an audience by sheer shock-value. The more ridiculous the show, the higher the ratings. Along comes a show with a tinge of normalcy and void of the four core ingredients to a hit-cake, S (Sex), N (Nudity), V (Violence) & L (Language), and suddenly we cry foul. Well when I say 'We' what I really mean is 'Conservative America' or as they're more commonly known, The Republicans.

One of their clan members, in trying to justify David Cretin's call for a boycott of the show, asked this poignant and well thought out question :"What would happen if conservative Christians decided to produce shows promoting our religion on national TV?"
Really?
No less than 17 Christian channels being aired 24 hours non-stop nationally, with close to 100 radio channels dedicated to preachings from the pulpit, and you're scared of 1 american muslim show? Not even a channel?

Yes folks.
This new weapon of mass destruction will undoubtedly wreak havoc unless we do something about it.
Unless we confront this evil known as FEAR, with something even more powerful.
Something so potent and indestructible, it has survived hundreds of years or persecution.
Something I like to call Common Sense.

How about we give that a try?

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh almost painful to read! I saw the news segments about them pulling the plug on All American Muslim, and was saddened. To be honest, I'm a lot like you. The stereotypes were always easier to believe and now we're faced with the reality that is diversity WITHIN the religions.

    A few points:
    1. My brother is a Republican, not a racist. While he believes in supporting conservative family values he would never condemn someone based on their race, religion, or even sexual preference.

    2. I used to be a Democrat and as I watch my tax money being used for programs that are ill managed and wasteful I lean further and further to the right. I am all about social programs for people who actually cannot help themselves due to age or health. Lack of desire to help yourself is not a handicap and should not be treated as such. Give it to the children, the elderly, and the infirm I say!

    3. Back to the stereotype issue... I was excited to see what the typical Texas Muslim does at a country music concert because:
    a)I don't like country music and I'd like another view point.
    b) It would have given me one more talking point when people condemn the Muslim people based on the actions of a few.

    4. Believe it or not, we get the same stereotypes as Christians. We're God-War mongering, Bible Thumping, etc etc... see where I'm going with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Angie.

    We really should let common sense prevail. Sometimes all it takes is tolerance and respect,and lately the worlds been in short supply of both.

    ReplyDelete