Monday, May 23, 2011

SAMA Awards Kaloo Style

So last night we had to endure 2 hours of the South African Music Awards otherwise known as the SAMA's, and quite honestly it was as pleasant as listening to a pregnant cat give birth to 6 kittens and a pineapple.
Why did I have to endure it? Why couldn't I simply change the channel?
Well frankly I'm one of those people who's proudly South African and still highly critical at the same time. Yes for those that didn't know, it is allowed to be critical of one's own country, it's people and cultures, and even religions (as can be seen in my previous post.) It's what a democracy is all about.

I'll be the first to admit that I was expecting a show comparable to the MTV Awards, especially since we had just pulled off the 2010 Soccer World Cup with such resounding success. I figured a music awards ceremony would be a walk in the park. I was sorely mistaken.
You can read the newspaper reviews about what exactly made the SAMA's a forgettable event.
I'm reserving space on my blog for more important things.... like 3 of my personal favourite truly South African songs/ remixes.

I spent the evening searching for songs which had a distinct local flavour, and this is what I found... although the last video would have been a natural choice anyways.

I'd like to hear what would make your "Top 3 Songs With An SA Vibe"


A taste of Durban.



Some Cape Town flavour. Probably my favourite Cape Town band.



I know exactly where I was when I first heard this song, and I know exactly what I did as soon as the beat kicked in. Still a party classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment