Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Price Of Perfection

Well I learned a rather important lesson today. More important than the usual lessons I learn on any other day, and I am always humbled by how much there is to learn out there.

Having worked in the field of commercial property maintenance and renovations for a few years now, I've come to accept a certain required standard from my clients, and they have come to accept the same if not a higher standard from me.
So I'm always surprised when a client based overseas and who is notorious for being unreachable during the best of times, questions my decision during a rather big project to improve on an aspect of the job which clearly needed it. Protocol usually requires confirmation from client, but when you've been given Carte Blanche to make time-sensitive decisions if a client is unreachable, you would think your judgement will be respected.

The project looks great. The cost implication was an added 10%. In light of the bigger picture, it's a small price to pay.
Maybe it's easier to say this since I'm not the one paying the additional 10%.
Maybe it's my ego and pride at stake because I demand a certain level of expertise from myself. I could have done the project without undertaking the additional aspect, but that would have annoyed me to no end. I would never have put it in my portfolio. It would have been a blemish on my record, even if the client thought otherwise.

I guess therein lies the answer.
Sometimes client's are just morons and don't know whats best for them.
Maybe I'm the moron and this is the price I pay for perfection.

Here endeth the rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment