Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nelson Mandela Day : Cheesekids


Nelson Mandela (or Madiba as he is affectionately known by millions around the world) turns 93 tomorrow, and quite frankly I'm still not sure why he hasn't been given Sainthood yet.
I'm not sure if it's the Catholic Church or the Queen who grants Sainthood, but I'll be writing a sternly worded letter to the both of them tonight demanding some answers.

The history of this man's greatness is plastered all over the interweb, so I won't be going into the reasons why I think he is so deserving of the title Saint Madiba.

I had planned to spend today at Cheesekids, a national event held in Joburg, Cape Town and Durban every year to celebrate Madiba's birthday by doing something for 67 minutes to honor the great man. Not just 67 minutes of randomness, but 67 minutes dedicated to giving something back to the community, and more especially giving something back to the children who need it most.
Alas, a pinched nerve put paid to that idea, and I spent the day on my back, dedicating 67 minutes to Madiba by laying down and staying out of trouble. See, even when we do nothing, we're really doing something positive.
That's my story and I'm sticking by it.

Kudo's must go to my dear friend Gwen Britz who is a true inspiration whenever something worthwhile and soul-enriching comes up, and I'm tempted to ask myself where will I ever find the time to get involved. Gwen is proof that there is always time to get involved, there is always time to help others, and there is always time to do good.
I salute you my friend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment