Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Call Of The Ocean

In just 4 weeks time we take on the sea's on an ocean cruise I have been wanting to do for a few years now.
I kept putting it off first because my business didn't allow me to be out of contact for too long; then because the Somalians were hijacking everything that didn't have wheels; and finally I postponed because I saw a re-run of the epic movie Titanic on the telly one night.

To allay my fears about being without both mobile and internet access for longer than 24 hours, I had requested a satellite phone and an internet port to be installed in our room.
They called me today with the cost of my request, and I realized that I would need to take out a second bond on my home and sell a kidney to finance my needs.

If you've read my previous posts, you will know that I don't enjoy being away from my business for too long. Anything longer than 2 days is too long.
Yes yes, I know I need to learn to relax.
So this ocean cruise is certainly going to be a challenge and test in relaxation for me.

On the plus side, one of the activities on board the ship is a golf simulator! Yeah baby :)

I called the lady who handled my booking, and asked her about a hundred questions, the type she must get asked by every single passenger who's ever booked a cruise with her before. It's only when I asked about sharks that she realized I may not be your average passenger.
Living in Johannesburg has allowed me to be in control of my fear of these ocean monsters.
Touch wood I haven't encountered a shark in the Sandton or surrounding suburbs ever. The odd tow-truck driver and metro cop does come a close second though.
If you watch the movie `Jaws' backwards, it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.

My final question to her was about icebergs.
Sure, laugh all you want, but with global warming what it is currently, I wouldn't be surprised to find a renegade iceberg chilling it's butt somewhere in the Indian ocean near Maputo!
All I'm saying is, I'm carrying an extra $500 on me just in case I need to bribe the safety officer on board when they realize there aren't enough lifeboats!

"Jaaaaaaaaack.... Jaaaaaaaaack.... Jaaaaaaaaaack... Don't leave me Jaaaaack.."
It's all fun and games, until somebody doesn't see the iceberg straight ahead!




2 comments:

  1. Great Stuff! Which ship? My sisters and I have been twice with some friends and we absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sinfonia.
    I've always wanted to do a cruise, so I'm super-stoked for this one :)

    ReplyDelete