Tuesday, December 7, 2010

We Rode Dinosaurs Into The Sunset


So the missus is on her girly-holiday in Bali. I may have mentioned her yearly pilgrimage with her gal-pal Sabeen (not to be confused with the daughter, Sabreen) in a previous post.
Each year they choose an exotic location and leave the husbands to bond with the kids. Last year was Sharm-El-Sheikh in Egypt, next year they're doing Bora Bora.

It ranks as one of my favourite times of the year, because it means I get to conquer the world with my daughter. Just she and I against the dragons and the demons of the universe.
Last nights demon was dinner.
My first real attempt at a culinary masterpiece.
10 minutes later and with her having shown me where everything including the salt in the kitchen was, I felt like Masterchef Joburg. My culinary masterpiece : 2 Minute Noodles & Woolies Chicken Bites, or as I like to call it, Pasta Al Cheapo.

I was chatting to a friend of mine today, who had recently gone into partnership with a colleague of his. They started a consulting firm. Pretty low key upstart business, with a few basic clients, but they have a vision of growing it soon. My friend tell's me he think's his partner needs to attend Business School. He say's whenever they go for lunch or travel, the partner keeps all the expense receipts. So yesterday my friend finally asked him what he does with all the receipts, and the partner winks at him and says "I claim it back from the company!"
Hhmm... I don't think he realised that it's just the two of them in the partnership, which means he IS the company... and winking at your partner when you say that doesn't make you sound or look smart, it makes you look stupid. It's not the fact that claiming from the company is perfectly legal, it's the fact that as an upstart  they both agreed to keep expenses to a minimal. Weird, I know.
It's like me stealing R100 out of my own wallet, and high-fiving myself for getting away with it.

Also, if you're a guy and you're just sitting around bored out of your skull for no good reason, please don't choose a mousetrap as your toy of choice.
Some guy I met today at my client's place was in a wheelchair, bitching about suing a mousetrap company because he was playing with the device on his sofa while watching Sunday afternoon golf, when it suddenly snapped shut on his testicle.
I had tears in my eyes just thinking about that kind of pain.
Besides, if a mousetrap can take a guy off his feet and put him in a wheelchair, that's enough reason for me never to get bored while alone at home with one!
Say Cheese!!

No comments:

Post a Comment