Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

My dad and his soccer team had just won their local league, and had decided to celebrate by going to a resort not too far from where we lived.
The plan was to have a braai  (barbecue) at Club Shalimar, and spend the rest of the day at the resorts rock-pools.

My dad was an avid swimmer, and as soon as the team arrived and had done unpacking, he headed for the pools. It was the early part of the morning, and hardly anybody else had arrive at the resort.

That was the last anybody saw him alive.
It turns out he encountered severe cramp as soon as he dived into the frigid water, and was unable to swim to the surface.
I was 3 years old at the time.

Father's Day for me has always been one filled with awe and fascination toward other families. I'd watch friends and cousins go out shopping and prepare all manner of surprises and hearty lunches for their dads, and it never really struck me that I was missing out on any of this.
Its not easy to miss something when you've never really had it at any point in time to begin with.

That was until today.
Being woken up by my 3 year old daughter Sabreen with kisses all over my face while singing "Happy Fathers Day" suddenly made me realise how special the day truly is.

To all those dad's celebrating fatherhood today, to those dads that cant be with us, and to my dad watching down on me, heres wishing you a truly Happy Father's Day.

I hope i've made you proud dad.

Love always.
Your son
Fareed

No comments:

Post a Comment