Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Of Mice & Men

I uploaded a status on Facebook today that seems to have generated quite a response from my fan club.

Dishonor and Deceit.
What is the standard definition of dishonor and deceit?
- the quality of being deceitful; duplicity; falseness.
- lack or loss of honor; disgraceful or dishonest character or conduct.

Its been a week where I have encountered this in both total strangers and those I regarded as friends.
The total strangers I could easily forgive. The friends on the other hand, never cease to amaze me.
Thats the funny thing about forgiveness. We find forgiveness easier to sprinkle about like rice at a Chinese wedding when the perpetrators are people who don't really matter. It's when they're friends or family that we suddenly find the confetti heavier than lead.

I could easily have steered this post toward a rant and a lament, but i'd much rather use this as a cathartic process to cleanse myself of the stench of scum and chicken-poop.
Wait!
Did I just rant?
How deceitful of me!

Lol. You see what I just did there?

Moving along.

What an awesome week it has been for every South African able to breath and blow a vuvuzela!
Today made me feel truly proud to be South African.
I took Sabreen out to Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton at lunchtime and we were amazed at the turn-out of fans from across the globe. The highlight must certainly be the Mexican fans taunting the South African fans, and vice-versa. The Mexicans were in full song, with the chant of "Ole Ole Ole Ole" ringing loudly through the square. The South Africans in turn were torn between the tried and trusted Shosholoza and TKZees "In The Area", not so apt now that Benni has been dropped.

Its at this precise moment that I realised we as a nation don't truly have a song we can call our own during sporting events. Shakira's "Waka Waka" sounds great but it's not really a South African song. Neither is "Waving Flag", as much as I wish it were because it's such an awesome song.
Halfway through the afternoon, I could'nt help but notice how many South Africans were singing along to "Ole Ole Ole Ole". This is going to seem rather odd during the opening game. South Africa vs Mexico. How are we supposed to tell who the fans at the stadium are supporting? Worse still, what happens when the Mexican Wave comes around? Can you imagine thousands of South African fans singing "Ole Ole Ole Ole" and doing the Mexican wave while our boys are playing the Mexicans?

Is this the definition of a Mexican Stand-off?

1 comment:

  1. true story. Forgiveness can feel like heartburn occasionally. Sometimes uncomfortable situations can lead to stronger friendships. Tis best to sort it out wuntymmme.

    ReplyDelete