Monday, November 1, 2010

Put A Ring On It

So I got up this morning and the radio and Twitter were abuzz with a ring around the Sun.
I sat on the loo and turned the telly on (Yes yes, I have one in the Porcelain Palace) and there it was again, news on the ring around the sun, but no pics.
I traipsed into the shower and on the Radio-On-A-Rope all the callers were talking about the end of the world and how the ring around the Sun signified doomsday.

So I finally decided to check out the Sun for myself and I must admit I was suitably impressed.
It looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. I stood there waiting for Bruce Willis or Will Smith to arrive by helicopter, take my Fruit-Loop cereal out of my hands, and tell me that everything was going to be OK.

Neither of them arrived, but my Blackberry saved the day (and the planet) by informing me via Google that what I was looking at was called a Sundog.

Something about ice crystals and sunlight and reflections blah blah woof woof.

So I took the liberty of posting these pics, taken from News24, for my international visitors, so that you too may have a glimpse of the awesomeness us Joburgers woke up to.
All the scientific reasoning aside, personally I think the ring around the Sun was because Liverpool finally won a game last night and someone upstairs lost a bet.


Photo taken by Pierre Kitney, courtesy of News24

Photo taken by  Lynea Evans, courtesy of News24

Photo taken by Rene Del Carme, courtesy of News24

No comments:

Post a Comment