Monday, May 10, 2010

My Favourite Quotes, By My Favourite Writers

A Few Of My Favourite Quotes, By My Favourite Authors

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.
Maya Angelou

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
Maya Angelou

And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. Kahlil Gibran

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.
Kahlil Gibran

Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.
Kahlil Gibran

The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.
Kahlil Gibran

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
Kahlil Gibran

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Anais Nin

I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing.
Anais Nin

There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do.
Anais Nin

Truth is something which can't be told in a few words. Those who simplify the universe only reduce the expansion of its meaning.
Anais Nin

This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.
Rumi

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas

The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
William Butler Yeats

When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep.
William Butler Yeats

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense. Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

We are sinful not merely because we have eaten of the tree of knowledge, but also because we have not eaten of the tree of life.
Franz Kafka

When I want to understand what is happening today or try to decide what will happen tomorrow, I look back.
Omar Khayyam

The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do well, and doing well whatever you do without thought of fame. If it comes at all it will come because it is deserved, not because it is sought after.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

There are moments in life, when the heart is so full of emotion That if by chance it be shaken, or into its depths like a pebble Drops some careless word, it overflows, and its secret, Spilt on the ground like water, can never be gathered together.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I have often noticed that ancestors never boast of the descendants who boast of ancestors. I would rather start a family than finish one. Blood will tell, but often it tells too much.
Don Marquis

If you want to get rich from writing, write the sort of thing that's read by persons who move their lips when they're reading to themselves.
Don Marquis

In all systems of theology the devil figures as a male person. Yes, it is women who keep the church going.
Don Marquis

In order to influence a child, one must be careful not to be that child's parent or grandparent. Don Marquis

Successful people are the ones who think up things for the rest of the world to keep busy at.
Don Marquis

The art of newspaper paragraphing is to stroke a platitude until it purrs like an epigram.
Don Marquis

The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race is the human race.
Don Marquis

The trouble with the public is that there is too much of it; what we need in public is less quantity and more quality.
Don Marquis

Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.
Terry Prachett

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
Terry Prachett

You can't remember the plot of the Dr Who movie because it didn't have one, just a lot of plot holes strung together. It did have a lot of flashing lights, though.
Terry Prachett

The brave may not live long...but the cautious, may not live at all.
Stolen off someone else’s profile

Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative.
Stolen off someone else’s profile

No comments:

Post a Comment